.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Hope For The Future

This story actually happened this past October. My children and buckets of my money go to private school. At a Halloween Party, there was an eighth grader dressed as a Viet Namese peasant. Wearing a Kumi hat, shorts and donning a stick with two buckets on each end, he was pretty unassuming and quite curious as I could not tell what he was supposed to represent. When he turned to walk towards the food and drinks, I finally got the joke. He was wearing a shirt that read, ‘John Kerry burned down my village and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt.’ Gut-wrenchingly funny! The story does not end there.

This is the dialogue I heard between the Principal and the student upon discovering what the child was wearing:

Principal – ‘You need to take that T-Shirt off!’
Student – ‘Excuse me, Ma’am, Why?’
Principal – ‘Because it’s offensive’
Student – ‘It’s Free Speech’
Principal – ‘It’s a disruption and it’s in bad taste’
Student – ‘We are not in school. This is a Halloween Party. I’ll make a deal with you. I’ll take off my shirt, if you remove the “Kerry/Edwards” bumper sticker off of your car.’

Up The Youth!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?